Friday, September 6, 2013

Laundry Time

Laundry time is one of those endless tasks that just needs to get done. The truth is, I don't really mind doing it, especially when they are my young children's clothes... But in the future, when I start seeing size S, M or L instead of a 2T or 5T on the tags of their clothes, I can imagine myself not being too happy when  I haven't delegated this task by then.

My daughter, who is 4, is at a stage where she loves doing things with me.  She wants me to go to the playground with her, read to her, play dolls with her, cook with her--- anything!  So, laundry time, is one of those times that provide us with endless "opportunities" to do something together.  It keeps her preoccupied in a productive manner, and WALLAH, the job is done.   As you can see, the  positive energy that I bring to the activity is a key element here!


She is always proud when the job is done!  She feels accomplished when she knows she has contributed to completing a task that is important.

I feel that the more children are accustomed to participating in doing chores, the more they are willing to help with many things around the house without being asked or "bribed" to do. I think that at this young stage, allowing them to "participate"--- not giving the entire responsibility to them, helps them build positive thoughts about doing house work.  It definitely has helped create a bond between us, for doing things together, and that alone is priceless.

For this laundry time activity, my we have learned...

1. Skill in one to one correspondence.  Counting the number of dresses she needs to hang, and collecting the same number of hangers that she will be needing---1 hanger to 1 dress.
2. Problem solving.  If the hanger doesn't fit into the top hole of the dress, how do I get it into the dress correctly? If the socks are inside out, How do I get the outside out?
3. Matching.  Match each sock to the correct pair.
4. Fine motor. Having to flatten out the socks, roll them tightly, then twisting the top to make the pair of socks into a ball so they could stay together.
5. Language.  "2 socks make 1 pair of socks."

No comments:

Post a Comment